Welcome to BCS! This is our blog where we update school happenings daily. Mrs. Tabetha Sullens, Principal posts pictures and information for parents, students, staff and guests. Please take your time and get to know us... come see what Boyd Christian School has to offer.

Thursday, September 23, 2010



Boyd PTF notes as taken by C. Elliott.

Holly Hodges welcomed everyone to the meeting and introduced herself and the
new PTF board. She and Kelly also gave everyone their phone numbers and
assured the attendees that they are welcome to contact them at any time.
Holly made sure that everyone had received an agenda for the meeting that
had been placed on the table.

Holly discussed how hard and dedicated Dachelle McVey worked to make the
fair booth such a success.

The meeting was turned over to Sonia to discuss the upcoming Apple Fest

1. It will be outside Oct. 9 from 10 till 5

2. Inflatables will be provided thanks to donations.

3. We will have a Snack walk instead of a cake walk; Debbie cakes are

4. Ring toss; 2 liter drinks are needed.

5. Chili cook-off; you will buy one ticket to taste test each
participants chili then drop your ticket in the bucket of the chili you like
best to nominate it for the "People's Choice Award". Mr. Marquette will also
have a "Principal's Choice Award".

6. Sonia is working on getting the National Guard (?) to bring the
rock wall for students to climb.

7. A money grab box is needed to for children to stand in while a fan
blows around play money for them to catch.

8. A dunk booth is needed.

9. Games are going to be provided for the older children, such as
eating contests, etc.

10. At 6, On The Road Again, will perform for the crowd.

11. L.A.C.E. is considering the idea of allowing students to purchase a
wristband for $20, which will give unlimited access to all games.

12. People and business' are encouraged to sponsor additional games that
can be rented from Grand Rental.

13. Each class will silent auction a basket of goodies

14. 2 Titan's tickets will also be auctioned and Holly stated that they
are very good seats. Jeff McVey suggested printing off the view from the
seat so that people would see how good they really are.

15. Volunteers are needed to grill hamburgers for the day.

16. Sign up lists will be in the office. High school students and middle
school Beta will also help out.

Meeting was turned over to Dachelle McVey to discuss the success of last
week's fair booth at the local county fair.

1. Last year's fair was 1 and a half days longer than this year's
fair, but we grossed over $1800.00 more.

2. Our booth was closed all day on Wed. due to lack of volunteers.

3. Fri. and Sat. were each over $4000.00.

4. Dachelle came within $100 of last year's expenses, which meant less
food was left over once the fair ended. Hotdogs, hotdog buns, and some
chicken was leftover, which L.A.C.E. is buying to use for the Apple Fest.

5. It looks as if profit will be around $8500.00

6. The only complaints she heard was the wait time for service and

Holly discussed the need for it to become mandatory to work the fair,
similar to what Convenant requires of its parents. Jeff McVey said it will
be discussed at Thur. board mtg. He also said they planned to discuss the
enlargement of the food booth. In particular, the food prep area and bumping
out the sections that cut into the serving areas. A second story would be
helpful, but he is unsure if it can be added. Of course, this would also
mean we would need to do a fund raiser for this particular project.

Holly began the discussion of the need for future fundraisers:

1. It was commented that last year's candy bar sells did not do well.
A lot left over.

2. Sell Dr. Pepper drinks

3. A possible consignment sale in the spring.

4. Coupon book where students only need to acquire addresses, which
was done in the past and participation was low.

5. Amanda Simpkins suggested "Art to Remember" where students draw
pictures which are then used to decorate mugs, calendars, Thank you cards,
etc. she is going to get more details on this fundraiser.

6. Kelly suggested having Sherry Slaughter do a scrap booking class or
for anyone else who would like to provide a class similar to her Coupon
Class, which was raised over $400.00 for the school 2 weeks ago.

7. Holly discussed selling shirts, hoodies, and car decals, with the
school logo. Designs were presented that picture the Boyd bronco horse head
and the school name. The background design could be changed out to represent
the different sports and clubs at the school. She showed three designs. She
plans to have her contact at Pulse Marketing to work more on the designs,
and then she will send out an email to all parents for their viewing.
Parents will be able to email her to give feedback. It was mentioned that
the "Christian" word on one of the designs needed to be in a bolder print.

8. Seat cushions and chairs were also discussed and Kelly Roberts said
that she would check on prices for those at the Outdoor Shop.

Dachelle wanted everyone to know that emails that come from her are usually
forwarded to her from Terry or PTF, so they may not actually be from

Holly stated that she had called that day to speak with Greg Vinson to
determine the balance in the PTF account. She called just before lunch, but
he was out to lunch. Her call was not returned, therefore she did not have
the amount to give the attendees at the meeting.

Jenny Spitzer brought up the idea of school uniforms that is being
discussed. Jeff McVey said that it will not go into effect this school year,
but to look for it to do so, at least partially, for next school year. Jenny
stated that she felt that school attendance would drop when this became
official. Jeff told her that she would need to voice her concerns to Mr.

Jenny also suggested to Holly that she send the agenda out by email prior to
the PTF meeting to parents so that they will know what is to be discussed
that night, which might also encourage parents to attend.

Kelly asked Jeff McVey if the board could release the information that shows
the actual costs of running the school. He did state that this has been
discussed before and public information has been given out. He said that the
school starts the year with a $1500 deficit per student. The rest of the
money must be earned through fund-raising efforts. Libby suggested doing as
Middle TN Christian School. They post on their website a percentage to show
what is covered with tuition and the remaining percentage has to be
made/gained through fund raisers and private donations. Jeff stated that he
would bring up these concerns at the upcoming board mtg. on Thur.

It was discussed again the need for mandatory hours to be given by parents.
This would be for everything, and not just for the fair. Such as, Apple
Fest, ground work, etc.

The meeting was adjourned and drawings were conducted for door prizes.

1. Sausage winners: Kim Rigsby, Amanda Simpkins

2. Ornament: Brittany Taylor

Additional Comments were made after the drawings:

Creative Couponing will conducted by Kelly Roberts on Sat. from 10-12. The
last class raised $460.00 for the school.

Holly discussed the idea of PTF providing all the party needs for a class -
for a fee. Example would be for a Halloween party for 3rd grade. Each child
would bring in $5 each and the PTF would use that money to get all needed
supplies and to make food. Profit would be given to school. A menu would be

Amanda Simpkins suggested doing a Parent's Night Out. The seniors are
already doing a movie night to raise funds for their class trip to Europe,
but we could still provide other nights.

A fun run, such as a Turkey Trot in the fall, was discussed. Students would
get donations for each lap.

Not voiced at meeting, but if each child raised say, $50, then they could
get a free shirt. We could also have a competition at school to decide upon
the artwork (created by children).

Dachelle brought up the Scavenger Hunt and asked if it would be done again
this year. Sonia said that she thought it would be, since it is used to get
needed items, such as, paper towels, plates, etc. for the cafeteria.

Meeting ended at approx. 7:30